Oh my gosh, Instagram.. #Instaaaagraaam. When I first started, it was dead.com, I had (which deleted further down the line for obvious reasons aha..) posted my first selfie in purple hair at university (I had my rainbow days haha 😂🌈), in my new uni halls(kinda looked like a prision), along with an edgy crazy photo with my trages earring, eating krispy kremes, my fitness routine at uni and funny clips from nights out.. It was all ‘personal, extremely random and pretty much in the
fricken I don’t care I want to show this to my friend moment, past Instagram in ‘2012 was bliss..’ I miss the old Instagram. I do. But, I also looove the fact I have professional quality photos; paid by cool brands and having creative collaborations. All that professional Instagram flare had taken over what it used to be, sometimes I missnit, sometimes I dont..
Fast forward 5 years, in the general Instagram law book (sarcasm btw):
- High numbers only; I mean why would anyone want to work with someone under 50k, pass the sick bucket #YOUREXISTENCEISNTVALID.
- ‘Perfect photos’ which need to be photoshopped until it doesn’t look like you but that’s okay because Instagram pictures can’t show human imperfections or you’ll get less likes.
- The best captions: Insert Ghandi calculated quotes to capture the minds of your followers- show them your inner great Ghandi goods, even if it is a seductive selfie just showing your triple Gs, show your inner philosopher in the same csption!
- Most fun insta-stories- Every second of your life should be fun, fun,fun,fun, you should breathe extreme fun and nothing but fun otherwise your views will drop. Sell your soul to be fun if you’re not, throw yourself under a bus (please don’t but you get what I mean by extreme), for brands, just #funinstastories. Your life should seem effortlessly fearlessly fun not compelled.
- Lastly, everything, repeat with significance and power, everything should be either #gifted or #ad, if you’re not in the game, then don’t bother, no one cares.
I have a love/hate relationship with Instagram💅. I’m in the “game”, as in I recieve sponsored work here and there, most 3 recent ones were Gaviscon (but they pulled out but I still got paid for 10 second story and post), Atlantic records post and story and a post by clearpay.. Which all paid for my next two holidays woo! I’ve had gifted products- also I work in promotional events so it’s the ‘norm’ to receive a lot of freebies, it’s one of the perks with the job. Sooo, I see inside the box, but also outside, which I don’t think most people do.. I’m not heavily bothered by followers, I could easily buy, or rise quickly by a few friends whom are verified, but I don’t see how being organic and authentic is bad? I like the fact my engagement is roof high 6/7ish /10 and it’s all a huge community. I receive a heap of messages regarding what I show, whether it’s sponsored, gifted or bought. I know my engagement is high and it makes me proud I can get more paid/gifted opportunities than those whom have a much higher (possibly, undoubtedly fake) following. For me, it’s regarding quality and showing substance. I have 100 something friends on fb (pretty private person) in my WhatsApp around 16 conversations (frequent) but on my birthday I had over 14 friends celebrate my birthday with me. Numbers gathered online are small, but the turn out was huge, compared to those whom have 2,000-5,000 friends and no one to celebrate with or really talk to on a day to day basis. I’m not humble bragging or anything, I’m saying just because you say you have 2k friends, are they really friends, as to 200k followers, are they really followers?????! What I’m trying to explain is numbers don’t really mean shit in real life, you can’t take 100k to the grave, to Insta business world, in some ways they do, but if your engagement is pretty poor, then really who are the 99% of the following? Dead? If someone has around 9k following with engagement of 8.9 and another has 80k but engagement of 1.5-2, you might as well work with someone with a higher engagement- profits will rise up, more exposure etc. It’s about the active engagment..
Anyways, before I ramble on to make my point clear, I will set out simple strategies to increase engagement! If that doesn’t work, delete your gram, (joking) pls don’t..:)
Three simple ways to improve engagement.. (most people ignore)
- COMMENT ON OTHERS, 👉👌make the first move! Don’t be fixated on others commenting on yours, actually put time and effort into others and they’ll do the same. 9/10 girls on Instagram are actually Sooooo lovely, just like when you’re drunk in the bathroom and they hype you up when you hype them. Send a comment and they’ll do the same Felicia you’re looking sexy af, I love how the dress compliments your curves, yes yes yes boo show them!!! (or something equally as cute and corny as that 😉 xo
- ENGAGEMENT GROUPS ON IG🗣👥👯🕺👭👬👫🕴💃– I know it’s a grey area, but if you’re a travel blogger there are specific small groups which enable you to firstly connect with like minded people and they also help comment too, they may have travelled there and will give tips! Don’t get sucked into the random engagement groups when they have a time limit on when to comment i.e.- 30 mins to comment on all. Because you want real authentic comments. Thus it sounds awfully very hypocritical and confusing, but go to real groups where they
don’t have 60k members, even an instagram group of 10 girls who genuinely love your page and you love their or make a friends engagement group! They’ll have better genuine comments and longer too! The ‘omg you look fab’, cool pic insert monkey emoji just looks fake and a bit naff!
- ENGAGE BACK😘😘😘😘: Sounds obvious, but the amount of comments I see on a pic and not one reply from the owner makes me roll my eyes… I know I have loads of commenting back to do, but I do DM back or comment back if I don’t reply, I try to reply to all but it’s not possible in the day and time.. If you comment back you build a relationship over time, they’ll comment on your new pictures and you’ll do the same and its an endless cycle! Imagine that for 30 people, easily, 30 new comments on a picture, simple 😛 Even via Dms, a simple thank you could go a long way! I had someone say ‘omg you’ve replied and three of their friends follow and comments regularly on my page.
- Twitter chats and Twitter hashtags ❌✔! There are so many chats per day! I always recieve and see an increase in Instagram engagement by having a littlest with someone from Twitter..It’s more of a chatty platform, again if you chat with someone onntwitter, follow them on instagram and comment make the first move I guarantee they’ll have a check up and show love too!!
- Instagram stories, questions and polls🔜! stay active in these will help you work out what your followers want. A fashion post came out on top on poll?! Then you’ll receive heaps of comments on the new fashion #lots picture as that’s what your audience wanted! Knowing exactly what they want and be informal once in a while will keep your audience feeling excited to see new content!
- Add elements of your personality😂😋😎🐶🦄🐗🤓😝! I feel mine is the relatable girl next door, funny, random, weird, loves to give advice, showcases new restaurants, events and releases.. So whenever I have a fun post, or a yummy one attachment a funny quirk for example, people are more likely to make an effort to comment and feel as if they already know you! For my birthday I added funny fun clips of me being my weird self, unsurprisingly recieved loads of comments.
- Questions in captions! People love to answer in real life Bout YOUR life, so It’s not different in Instagram, they want to be opinionated. End of. “Pizza night out.. What IS your favourite topping?! (Pls say 4 cheese and ham and pineapple ) LMAO
It’s all about engagement with your followets.. so spice it up today and you’ll see a massive difference!
If you need help, feel free to DM me💘💭🗯👁🗨💜💥
xx Xtineloves xx💋💋💋💋